“Tiger got to hunt, Bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, "Why, why, why?"
- Flying Saucers in 1966.
- Swirling in the subatomic soup.
- A glimpse at life on mars.
- 3,800 year-old funeral boat uncovered in Egypt.
- Time to save space.
- Hypersonic flight and driverless flying taxis coming soon to a future near you.
- Predator linked to size of virus populations.
- Get ready for the new Bond.
- Plants help rate of atmospheric CO2.
- How to make a memory.
- Tiniest magnifying glass reveals chemical bonds.
- Interactive periodic table.
- Birth year linked to flu immunity.
- Rise of the Mud Dragon.
- For those days days when you need 22 hours of ”Happy little trees”.
- This week’s evidence of the looming robot uprising.
Quote of the Day:
“I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.”
Not much news about today, apologies. Everyone seems to be transfixed by some election thing that apparently happened yesterday...
- Is Marco Polo a fictional character?
- 9000-year-old tool discovered in Ireland shows that Mesolithic people had sophisticated burial rituals and even cremated their dead.
- Lamarck's 'debunked' theory of evolution is being pulled from the dustbin of history.
- Scientists think this is where your consciousness lives.
- A new wireless brain implant is helping paralyzed monkeys walk. Humans could be next.
- 1990s doomsday planners were worried about feminists breaching nuclear waste sites.
- Some animals use vomiting as a defense mechanism.
- How the dearly departed could come back to life - digitally.
- Robots will take two-thirds of all jobs in the developing world, UN says.
- Bizarre creature with transparent head found near Bali.
- Trump's NASA looks good for human space exploration, and terrible for Earth science. A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies!
Quote of the Day:
You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.
Okay, so...President Biff?
- The controversial device that might make you feel the presence of a higher power.
- U.S. military successfully tests electrical brain stimulation to enhance staff skills.
- Inside the Jet Propulsion Laboratory: NASA's crazy, kooky, legendary research facility.
- Exploring Mexico's zone of silence...where radio signals fail and meteorites crash.
- How aliens might shield their planets from cosmic dangers.
- What triggered tsunamis that demolished Bronze-Age civilisation?
- Arabic translators did far more than just preserve Greek philosophy.
- The medium is the messenger: meet the new breed of American spiritualists.
- The mysteries of 'dreamless sleep' come to light.
- What sleeping will (probably) look like in the future.
- 6-year-old boy worshipped as the reincarnation of a Hindu god after medical condition left him with enlarged head and narrow eyes.
- Neanderthal DNA is being purged from our genomes.
- Researchers seek to explain the mysterious hovering flight of the hummingbird.
- Latest data shows the five hottest years on record have occurred since 2011. This is fine.
- Sea levels rising at unprecedented rate could displace millions of people by the end of the century. Everything is fine.
- Huge sinkhole opens up in Japanese city. No kaiju reported as yet.
- Whale vomit found by three fishermen will make them millions of dollars.
- Image of the Day: Gentleman discovers fossilized grizzly bear on Mars. Sounds legit.
Quote of the Day:
Propaganda should be popular, not intellectually pleasing. It is not the task of propaganda to discover intellectual truths.
- A baby was buried lying on a swan's wing in Denmark 6000 years ago.
- Ancient royal boat tomb uncovered in Egypt.
- Is a shamanic cult leader secretly in control of the president of South Korea?
- Massive Celtic cross discovered in Irish forest.
- Astrophysicist advisor on Doctor Strange movie talks about how to bring science to a film about magic and mystery.
- Can quantum physics explain consciousness?
- The Mandela Effect: Conspiracy theorists believe we're living in colliding alternate realities.
- Meet the man who started the Illuminati.
- Ancient aliens and otherworldly journeys in HBO's Westworld.
- "Earth must be warned!" - astronaut's caution surfaces again.
- Bizarre leaked Pentagon video is a science fiction story about the future of cities.
- Hydraulic fracking is behind thousands of earthquakes in the midwest US this year.
- Zoo chimp has legal rights, rules Argetinian judge.
- A popular theory about the dinosaur-killing meteor has been debunked.
- Hillary Clinton gives a rare glimpse of her personal interest in space exploration with comments about the threat posed by asteroids
- Elon Musk says we need to talk about a universal basic income because robots are about to steal all the jobs.
- Video of the Day: I give you ALL THE NIGHTMARES!
Thanks Rick and Norman.
Quote of the Day:
The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter.
Leading off today's news briefs with a few election-related items - please forgive our obvious bias toward Giant Space Rock as the ideal candidate to solve our problems...
- Will NASA's new asteroid intruder alert system warn us in time of incoming danger?
- In late October, NASA and FEMA practiced emergency operations for an asteroid impact.
- The challenge of catching an asteroid.
- Leaked NASA paper shows the 'impossible' EM Drive really does work.
- Nazi warplane design inspires NASA's next Mars explorer. Wernher would be a little misty-eyed...
- Self-sustaining robot eats living organisms to survive. Which can only end well...
- Scientists have detected a crack in Earth's magnetic shield.
- Diver may have found a lost nuclear weapon.
- World's oldest map was used in ancient magic rituals.
- Why the body in your dreams may not match the real you.
- A new era of mind control.
- Why did the KLF burn £1 million in cash on Scots island of Jura? For more details on this fascinating story, you need this book.
- Digging into Liverpool's secret tunnels.
- The otherworldly history of the Demogorgon.
- Shock claim of evidence showing that consciousness may continue after death.
- Harvard study decrypts the ancient mystery of consciousness.
- Study finds that kinky sex lifts our consciousness into a heightened state of “flow”.
- Giant snowballs appear on a beach in Siberia.
- The town that nearly danced itself to death.
- Aristotle was wrong, and so are we: there are far more than five senses.
Quote of the Day:
The news is not a pure representation of reality; it’s something that has been twisted by business people to harvest attention, which is then converted into money. That’s where it gets incredibly nefarious.
A summary of all the stories and news briefs posted on The Daily Grail over the past week. Feel free to share anything interesting!
- News Briefs 31-10-2016 (Monday)
- Echoes and the Beast: Sinister Fractal Animation
- News Briefs 01-11-2016 (Tuesday)
- People of Earth: A New Comedy Series about Alien Abduction Experiencers
- News Briefs 02-11-2016 (Wednesday)
- How was the Great Pyramid Built? These 'Notches' Where Its Faces Meet May Be Evidence for an Internal Ramp
- Digging Into the Classic Synthesizers and Musical Style of the Great John Carpenter
- News Briefs 03-11-2016 (Thursday)
- Before the Flood: Documentary on Climate Change Released Freely by National Geographic
- News Briefs 04-11-2016 (Friday)
Have a good weekend!
” As rain breaks through an ill-thatched house, passion will break through an unreflecting mind.”
- We are all neutron stars.
- Are we surrounded by hidden moons?
- The cosmic eye is upon you.
- 49,000 year-old settlement recalibrates Aboriginal Australian timeline.
- Seeing Egypt through Hopi eyes.
- The case for and against daylight savings.
- So many people.
- World’s largest worm killed… for science.
- The science of self-cannibalization.
- Spinach bomb detectors aka the Popeye Project.
- Earhart the castaway?
- Are bicycle helmet airbags the safety feature of the future?
- This week’s evidence of the looming robot uprising… Tasting Virtual Reality.
Quote of the Day:
“To cease from evil, to do good, and to purify the mind yourself, this is the teaching of all the Buddhas.”
The Daily Grail website redesign is in progress. You can help us out by chipping in a dollar or three over at Patreon!
- Paleolithic jewellery made from ostrich eggs 50,000 years ago reveal amazing artistic and technical skills.
- 50,000-year-old human settlements in Australia were "sophisticated" and overturn our understanding of how humans colonized the continent.
- Are these 'notches' in the edge of the Great Pyramid proof that it was built using an 'internal' ramp?
- 5000-year-old megalithic art discovered during excavations of the Hellfire Club.
- Bones found 76 years ago are "virtually identical" in size to those of lost aviator Amelia Earhart.
- Farmers use GPS and graph paper to create crop glyphs and bring in the money.
- Meanwhile, on Mars the Curiosity Rover has spotted a weird, metallic 'ball' meteorite.
- House-sized asteroid skims past Earth just hours after astronomers first spotted it.
- Astronomers find that Titan is full of steep, liquid-filled canyons.
- Monster Chinese telescope to join Tabby's Star alien hunt.
- Alaskan 'Ice Monster' sparks online imaginations.
- Renaissance Europe was horrified by reports of a sea monster that looked like a monk wearing fish scales. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose...
- Ten intentionally deformed ancient human skulls from around the world.
- Someone is learning how to take down the Internet.
- Dogs prefer sign language.
- Teen stuns family after waking from coma speaking only Spanish.
- Did Earth spin on its side when it was younger?
- The Canadian military is investigating a mysterious noise in the Arctic.
- Classic quantum experiment could conceal theory of everything.
- Have scientists and philosophers made consciousness far more mysterious than it needs to be?
- How long before we build Westworld-style 'Host' robots for real?
- Image of the Day: They're here...
Quote of the Day:
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
A quick reminder that while all the other sites have dumped the weird post-Halloween, we're on the beat 365 days a year. Sometimes even 366!
- The pyramid at the end of the world.
- Did a memory experiment really show evidence for psychic abilities?
- The history of Satanic Panic in the U.S. - and why it's not over yet.
- Witnessing 'the Vatican Exorcist'' at work.
- Why humanoid robots are invading our movies and TV.
- Researchers have engineered spinach plants to detect explosives and wirelessly relay that information to a handheld device.
- Plants 'see' underground by channelling light to their roots.
- Giant zombie virus pulled from the permafrost.
- Two-faced calf becomes the oldest living example of a rare genetic mutation.
- Are we looking for aliens in all the wrong ways?
- French town upholds 62-year-old ban on UFOs.
- Scientists snare their first ever observations of a solar wave erupting upward from a sunspot.
- This one idea explains all the weird coincidences in the universe.
- These alien planets are the stuff of nightmares.
- P-Funk legend George Clinton explains the future.
- Small, weaponized drones are now a reality of life.
- Fart blamed for causing a fire during surgery at a Tokyo hospital.
- Wonderful visualisation of how the world's health has changed in your lifetime.
- Image of the Day: Saturn from above is a jaw-dropping sight.
Quote of the Day:
Free your mind, and the ass will follow.
Sorta like Larry, Curly and Moe reenlisting... *reads email* Whoa, I'm psychic. But it's more like Larry, Curly and Moe detained while trying to reenlist. Ah well, K Sera Sera.
- The 'igloo' that could be man's first home on Mars: National Geographic miniseries to reveal what first habitat on another planet could look like. More.
- Mars is nothing like The New World.
- On October 25, the last bits of data finally arrived from New Horizons.
- Global populations of vertebrates - mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish - declined 58 percent between 1970 and 2012. Freshwater life hit harder - down 81 percent.
- Your drain on drugs: Amphetamines seep into Baltimore's streams.
- The idea that humans are ephemeral compared to nature isn’t as persuasive as it once was.
- Genetic testing fumbles, revealing ‘dark side’ of precision medicine.
- Doubts about the promised bounty of genetically modified crops.
- Brazil's psychedelic rehab center treats drug addicts with ayahuasca.
- Cannabis may enhance night vision.
- 5000 years ago, Skara Brae's residents liked their mice and voles crispy.
- Why monsters, demons and witches are on the ballot this year.
- AT&T secretly sells customer data to police departments for $100,000 to $1m a year per department.
- Cold war redux? Russia unveils massive Satan 2 ICBM capable of destroying France or Texas in a single hit.
- China unveils J-20 stealth fighter based on 'US plans stolen by hackers.'
- In mice, Zika virus shrinks testicles 90 percent, and reduces sperm count tenfold. It's not known if the virus similarly affects human males.
- Scientists hope to eradicate disease with massive mosquito orgy.
- Do you 'believe' in ghosts? University of Arizona researcher explains the science of spirits.
Quote of the Day:
I don’t like the word ‘belief’ because people can believe anything, and very often our beliefs are not true. It is not a belief of mine now, that spirits are real. It’s a conclusion that I have come to based on so much evidence that I can no longer, with integrity, dismiss the evidence as untrue.
Gary Schwartz, director of the laboratory for advances in consciousness and health at the University of Arizona