What was I thinkin'? I knew there'd be hell to pay, but that crossed my mind a little too late.
- The first trillionth of a trillionth of a second after the Big Bang.
- In late 2013, UrtheCast will begin streaming video from the ISS of the Earth spinning below, with definition high enough to find your house and to see people!
- US lab produces first plutonium in 25 years.
- 'Lost' tectonic plate found under California.
- Billboard turns air into drinking water.
- Get ready to drone-proof your house.
- Skype's IP-leaking security bug creates denial-of-service cottage industry.
- Secondhand smoke detector outs puffers.
- Plants can hear, feel, smell, remember, and they can talk to each other. What a Plant Knows: A Field Guide to the Senses by Daniel Chamovitz is available at Amazon US/Kindle & UK/Kindle.
- China’s environmental woes so severe, top government officials forced to acknowledge them -- but not to fix them. China, China, China...
- TED: Some ideas TOO fascinating -- Hancock, Sheldrake's censored talks.
- When your actions contradict your beliefs.
- When underdogs choose not to play by Goliath’s rules, they win.
- An 18th Century automaton that could beat human opponents at chess seemingly marked the arrival of artificial intelligence.
- Silk Road: the online drug marketplace that officials seem powerless to stop -- partly because it uses Bitcoins.
- Bitcoin: the fastest growing currency in the world. (video: 5:45)
Quote of the Day:
Can you imagine if we had restrictions of speech, or the surveillance state, 400 years ago? We wouldn't have had the Reformation, or the Enlightenment, or the scientific revolution. Those would have been stopped – and we're having other kinds of revolutions now.
Amir Taaki, Bitcoin developer and activist.