A late-notice gathering of news briefs, as RPJ's internet connection has been taken down by the Blue Pill supporters...
- ESP evidence fails key test of repeatability. Except for these little details.
- Mystery parts of DNA found to be far from 'junk' in massive new study.
- Should we go to Venus before Mars?
- Finding aliens by looking for their spaceships.
- Former U.S. President Bill Clinton backs 100 Year Starship project.
- Time slows down when we prepare to move.
- Dybbuk stops here (see what they did there?) - discussing the paranormal object at the centre of this year's horror hit, The Possession.
- Why do schizophrenics hear voices.
- How consciousness evolved, and why a planetary ubermind is inevitable.
- Sir Roger Penrose's foreword to A Computable Universe, on consciousness, hypercomputation and a new type of physics.
- Cheetah-bot outpaces Usain Bolt. Hey, if Pistorius can run the 400m, surely cheetah-bot has a chance at the next Olympics?
- Recent Loch Ness Monster photo prompted a disappointing response from the skeptical community.
- The science of the subjective.
Quote of the Day:
consciousness is indeed functional and is not an “epiphenomenon” that simply
happens to accompany certain kinds of cognitive processes.
Sir Roger Penrose